Feel THESE – 100% Totally Natural!
Let me start by saying I condone fake boobs. That being said, when it comes to your business, reputation (branding), or communications – Organic Growth Rules!
A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a website TweeterGetter.com which promises 19k+ Twitter followers in 30 days!
[If you’re not sure what Twitter is, check this out]
While it’s definitely alluring to grab a flock of followers in flash, I can’t help but notice that Tweeter Getter is just the Pyramid Scheme de jour..err, Twitter. Now, I know there are arguments FOR this service, but do you really expect to get something (a $hit ton of followers) for nothing? What do I know…
Would you apply a similar Pyramid Scheme to your business? Think about it:
- Grow too fast – how will you ensure quality products or services
- Experience good growth initially, then unsustainable sales
- Gain customers that don’t actually care or evangelize your business
- Don’t know who your customers ARE or how can you provide value
- Backlash from those against this shady approach
- Damage to reputation/brand (5 yrs to build brand, 5 min to destroy)
- Etc. 😉
Surely there are hundreds of other reasons the method above stinks. I’m going to try the old fashioned (yet, modern-ish) approach to Twitter, my reputation, and business. You can help me determine if this is a smart approach (or not):
- Know who my contacts are and how we can benefit each other
- Build my followers in a natural, organic way
- Engage in meaningful conversations
- Provide relevant information
- Gain friends, followers and peers who will HELP me when needed
- Help my friends, followers and peers
- Support the PGH community
- Learn as much about the community, industry and best practices – and SHARE
- Do GREAT work
- Exude Awesomeness
What do you think about TweeterGetter? Am I flat out wrong? Is “Awesomeness” a word?
Photo credit: contraquien